POSITION TITLE: Technical Director
REPORTS TO: Artistic Director- Alyse M. Neubert
BENEFITS: 50% of the monthly premium of a package selected up to $200 with the assistance of the PHM Insurance broker.
SALARY: $33,280.00- $38,000 Annually. Paid in 26 installments on the 4th and 20th of each month. This Salary is based on 40 hours per week, at a rate of $16.00 per hour worked.
HOURS: This is a Full-Time Non-Exempt position. A weekly schedule will be approved by Artistic Director. This schedule will reflect a combination of scheduled and flex time hours.
PLAYHOUSE MERCED TECHNICAL DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The Technical Director (TD) is responsible for managing day-to-day operations of the PHM theatrical space, scenic/carpentry shop and affiliated spaces which includes assisting in budgeting the shows, communicating with designers when needed, creating and/or interpreting technical build drawings, and overseeing the technical crews along with the Creative and Artistic Directors. When performances are not held at PHM, the TD is responsible along with the Artistic Director in coordinating and communicating with the Technical team at other locations to facilitate our shows. The Technical Director (TD) works with a great deal of independence and exercises independent judgment in performing a wide variety of duties. Because of the operating hours of our facility, close supervision is not normally required nor expected.
The TD may be called upon to deal with a wide range of technical issues, due to this, the candidate will benefit from a working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; stage carpentry; appropriate safety precautions and procedures. The TD will report to the Artistic Director, and work closely with the Creative Director, Education Director, and Executive Director among other staff and volunteers.
In general, the TD will perform and is responsible for the following:
● Operates, maintains, and safeguards the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
● Duties include maintaining and operating in-house lighting, audio equipment; and assisting during set up or builds, operation and breakdown of various productions.
● Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
● Designs, sets up, maintains, and operates lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions and projects; assists guest designers and artists with technical matters.
● Advises the AD, ED and CD, lighting and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show, and supervises the implementation of approved technical designs.
● Supervises and assists with set and stage construction and management of the build. As well as loading in, putting up, taking down and loading out of sets during show changeovers. This also includes assisting in transporting sets
● Assists in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteer or paid technical staff for individual shows.
● Orient facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitates the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
● Monitors the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment.
● Assists with the preparation and controlled l of production budgets; maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies.
● Attends technical calls, production meetings and technical week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the performances.
● Makes recommendations to the Artistic and Executive Director regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
● Duties may also include coordinating volunteers and clients in technical activities related to stage lighting and sound.
● Overall, work with PHM staff to maintain a happy and healthy environment for all patrons, casts, crews, and co-workers.
● Take part in the overall cleanliness of PHM.
● Work within the constraints of a 40-hour work week. Any hours over 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or 7th consecutive day of work in a row must be pre-approved by Artistic Director.
● Assist on other duties as assigned needed basis for all Playhouse Merced departments.
● Duties will require computer proficiency, a high level of self-motivation and superior organizational skills; and typically, will require working at heights and lifting up to 75 pounds.
● A Bachelor's degree in Technical Theatre (or a related field) is preferred but equivalent experience in theater production will be considered.
● Professional experience within professional theatre and production is preferred.
● Strong carpentry skills.
● MUST have thorough knowledge of electrical, electronic and industry safety standards and practices.
● MUST have a valid California driver's license, or be willing to obtain one shortly after relocation.
Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and three professional references and applicable portfolio or digital materials to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until, May 20th , 2019. All applicants will be notified of their status at this point.
Please include Last Name and TECHNICAL DIRECTOR in the Subject Line. Example: Smith- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR APPLICATION.
Playhouse Merced is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Female/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. It is the policy of Playhouse Merced that no person shall be discriminated against, excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination in employment, or in any program or activity for which Playhouse is responsible on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, sexual preference, age, disability, religion, height, weight, marital status or veteran status